At least once each year, I write a salvation blog. You see, I have stalkers. 😉 I always have more people that read these blogs than click the “like” button. Therefore, I think it’s essential to declare God’s plan of salvation occasionally. I pray this will help someone.
At its core, Christianity is not a religion. Christianity is redemption, regeneration, reconciliation, relationship, and someday, resurrection. All Christians have taken this road, for there is no other way.
The nature of people is to rebel against God. God’s law requires every rebel to receive the same punishment. He created the penalty for the original rebels, the angels that rebelled against Him. This punishment was not designed for people. However, God’s law says that rebels against Him must be punished and there’s just one punishment, and that penalty is never-ending.
Steps to Salvation
Redemption – Not everyone goes to heaven. There’s only one way to get in, and that way is through Jesus. He is the “gate,” not just to heaven but to a relationship with Him and citizenship in the kingdom of God. No one can get in on their merit. So, to escape the punishment of sinners, you need someone to rescue you. Your rescuer is Jesus. He took your punishment and paid the price of your sinfulness. Jesus is not only the “gate,” but He is the Redeemer. If you commit your life to Him, He will rescue you. He will credit you with the punishment He took.
Regeneration – So, here is the bad news. You’re dead. You are like a walking zombie. You are physically alive, but you are spiritually dead. Since God is Spirit, you can’t be in His kingdom because, well, you’re dead. Here’s the good news! Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. If you make a binding declaration, out loud, to people, that Jesus is your Lord (i.e., Master) and if you believe in your heart that God did raise Jesus from the dead, then you will be saved! Jesus is Life. He will regenerate you. Your spirit will be made alive. You will be reborn. You will be qualified to be a citizen of God’s kingdom.
Reconciliation – Sinners are separated from God, That’s why the things of God make no sense. However, when you are reborn, you are reconciled to God. You are in a loving relationship, just as God intended and desired for you.
Relationship – Jesus is not “fire insurance.” Being reborn is dependent on your repentance. You must turn your back on the way you’ve always lived. And, you must ask Jesus to come into your life and rescue you. Jesus will do this because He loves you and intends to have a genuine, loving relationship with you. You and He will talk, He will guide you to Christians that can teach you. Ask anyone that is a born-again Christian, “How did you come to Christ?” You will find you have much in common.
Every Christian individually comes to Jesus, destitute, repugnant, and untrustworthy. Steeped in rebellion against God and submerged in the muck and mire of this world. When you read or hear Jesus Christ’s Gospel, the Holy Spirit makes your condition and judgment as clear to you as Lasik surgery. You already have the necessary faith to believe, for God has given everyone a measure of faith (Romans 12:3). God provides you with all you need to be reborn. Be reconciled to God. Have an authentic, vibrant life with Him. God has provided all you need, but you need to act.
The 5 R’s of Salvation
To be saved, you need to:
- Respond – You will know it when the Holy Spirit calls you to Jesus. You probably won’t understand it but do not delay. Even right now, He may be calling you. Respond! Tell Jesus you want to be clean. Speak to Him.
- Repent – To be saved you need to have remorse for the life you’ve lived, And, you need to turn away from (i.e., repent) your life of rebellion against God. (Romans 2:4)
- Receive – You need to honestly believe that God raised Jesus from the dead and that Jesus is alive today, and that He will accept you, just as you are. You don’t have to be good first. Jesus didn’t go to the cross to make bad people good. He went to the cross to make dead people alive. No one can be good enough. You need to believe that Jesus is listening, Talk with Him. Confess to Him who you really are. Ask Him to forgive you. When you have believed, then you need to tell someone, and as many people as you can, that you have accepted Jesus as the Master (i.e., Lord) of your life. (Romans 10:9-10)
- Regenerate (i.e., reborn)- The Word of God states, “For by grace (i.e., stature and in favor with God) you have been saved (i.e., rescued) through faith (i.e., belief in the truth received upon the divine testimony). And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:8-10 ESV)
- Restitution – This can be a tough one to do, but it will set you free from so much baggage. You see, restitutions are part of salvation. This process is part of dying to yourself. When it’s possible, you need to not just “own up” to the wrongs you’ve done, but you need to “make right” the harm you’ve caused people.
- Results – Once you have been reborn there are some things you need to do. First, you need to join a local church. Ask God to guide you and to bring Christians into your life that can mentor you. You make end up going to a few local churches but when you find your “home”, you will know it. Also, there are two ordinances that Jesus established for all Christians. First, you need to be baptized. This is crucial for it is a public, symbolic declaration that you have died to your old self and be raised from the dead, by the power of God, into your new, life with Jesus. Secondly, you should take communion as often as your church performs this ceremony. Again, this is again a command from Jesus. And, it is a very special, sacred act.
That’s about it. There are whole books written about salvation so I just touched on the essentials for you to be saved.
Every Christian has experienced a miracle for we cannot be a Christian unless we’ve been reborn. If you are not a Christian then I pray that the Holy Spirit will call you, and you will answer. As God’s Word says, “Today is the day of salvation.” (2 Corinthians 6:2)
If you don’t know a Christian then use my “Contact Us” page and let me know about your decision. I will try to get you in contact with some Christians in your area.
Photo by Fiona Naughton on Unsplash
You may also be interested in: https://rockexcavationservice.org/by-name/